Thursday, January 5, 2023

Back Channel Shadowramma West Coast India Pale Ale

 Back Channel Shadowramma West Coast India Pale Ale. 


7.5% ABV, Back Channel Brewing, Spring Park, Minnesota.

Not long ago, (was it only last week?)I tried out my first Back Channel beer. Another ho-hum hazy. What else do they got? This week, along came a West Coast IPA, named after a misspelling of the cinematic technique used on Mystery Science Theater 3000, with Tom Servo, Joel (or is it Mike Nelson?) (it’s Mike, I now recognize it as the season eight episode “Prince of Space”)and Crow T. Robot riffing on some old Japanese nonsense. I have high hopes for this one. It had better be good...well, it’s a collaboration with Steel Toe, so it has to be, right?

Clear, bright golden hue, sizable snow white head. Looking good.

In the nose: bright, flowery, piney, dank, fully citrified. Very promising.

In the mouth: brisk, crisp, and bursting with hoppitude. Orange and grapefruit, little bit of lime. Bitterness blazes the palate, ending decidedly dry, slightly brittle. Lean bodied, with a slight malt sweetness. Not what I expect or desire in this style. But I’ll give it points for trying. It’s no Size 7, but it gets close. I need more bitter, more dry, more citrus and pine. 

I’m glad I got a free sample. I wasn’t about to drop $18 for a 4-pack, when a 6-pack of Size 7 is right there  for 5 or 6 dollars less.

What’s the matter with West Coast IPA? I like them very much!

Mickey from Prince of Space is one of the great characters from MST3K, up there with Pitch, Rowsdower, Torgo, Mr. B. Natural....oh, man, I’m going to to fall into a binge-watching spiral...

No comments: