Tuesday, January 10, 2023

BlackStack Rule of Thirds TIPA

 BlackStack Rule of Thirds TIPA.


10.1% ABV, BlackStack Brewing, St. Paul, Minnesota. 

Another TIPA from BlackStack, but not a Triple IPA, and never a hazy or New England TIPA. Why not? I want to see NETIPA on the label and I want someone to call it “nettipa.” And of course it’s hazy.

What else would I call it? Dull yellow color, slim white head.

In the nose: citrus drenched, tropical tinged.

In the mouth: citrus blast that’s almost sour. Fierce attack on the palate, turning toward astringency. Overload. Bit much. Each new swallow brings a wince and a pucker. Overdone dank, superfluous hopping. I just read the back and can’t believe the beer I’m drinking is the one they described. 

Composition matters. Every little piece fits together to form a semblance of a whole. Fully packed with our selected Citra, Simcoe, Mosaic & a new to us blend called Experimental HBC 303 Cryo containing Phantasm. Nothing out of place. Everything in focus.

Medium-ish bodied, but a bit of a challenge for the drinking. I’m not surprised my opinion is so contrary to the loyal fans. Alcohol is imbalanced. There’s little “composition “ to speak of. Normally I’d admire something as bold as this, but the shock at the start sort of ruined the experience. This is essentially a mixed-up sugary mess. Nothing focused about it. No clarity. A fuzzy, boozy wreck.

No comments: