Sunday, January 1, 2023

Ska Oktoberfest German-style Lager

 Ska Oktoberfest German-style Lager.


6.1% ABV, 22 IBU. Ska Brewing, Durango, Colorado.

It is January 1, 2023 and I am determined to empty the fridge. It is January 1 and I will take notes on a can I should have had 2 months ago. This was the last 6-pack of Oktoberfest I bought for the season, and I will still blog about, out of season or not. 

Clear, amber hued, slim white head.

In the nose: herbal, malty, sweet, caramely. Right on for a märzen. 

In the mouth: crisp, clean, slightly sweet. Grips the palate with flavor, then glides easily away. Earthy, nutty, toffee-ish, classically German. Masterfully märzen. Medium bodied, easily, heartily consumed.

I had the first five in rapid succession, enjoyed urgently. The sixth sat in seclusion, long out of fashion. Still good, still tasty. Go seek it out when it returns in eight months or so. 

A malty lager with an amber-brown color imparted by nutty, bready, toasty Munich and Vienna malts. With a clean, neutral yeast flavor–it’s all about the malt.

No comments: