Saturday, November 3, 2012

Left Hand Smokejumper Smoked Imperial Porter


Left Hand Smokejumper, Smoked Imperial Porter, Left Hand Brewery, Longmont Colorado. 8.8 % ABV.

This beer has been out for so many years, why has it taken me so long to get to it? Why have I never tackled a bottle? Why wait until my first time tapping it? So many good questions, and no answers. Let's just drink it up, okay?

Look at it: Solid black, under a lovely brown, dotted head, last long, if thin. Good looking' beer.

Smellin' it: roast first, then toast, some cream, and along comes cocoa. Nice.

Tastin' it: Full-bodied, massive impact on the palate, jumps on board and lays it in thick. First comes roasted malt, then cocoa, then it's swept up with smoke. A little bit hoppy, then smooth, and nothing but lush malt and full-blown deliciousness. Smoke gains in prominence and surely takes over. There's still some molasses and trickles of anise, bits of cocoa. Yum. Yum-a-dum-dum. Trademark and copyright.


What was my problem, not trying this one out until now? I was slow on this one. Don't be like me, you. Or, be like me now, not like me then.

No comments: