Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Trappist Achel Bruin

Here's a trappist dubbel I haven't had in far too long. I'm posting notes from February, 2004


Light, reddish brown color, firm, proud, thick off-whitish head, lace-leaving.

Aroma: nutty, slightly sweet, minor caramel notes, small hints of spice, cocoa.

Taste: big, hoppy blast, quickly replaced by a full-ness of dark, rich malty flavors that totally dominates the palate. Rich, chewy, yeasty, sweet, just a trifle complex, even. A delicious melange of dark flavors, a well-matched blend of hops and malt. Very tasty. Medium to full in body, chocolatey finish, though brief, and overall enjoyable.
Not a bad dubbel, but not spectacular.
And tremendously overpriced in this instance, a whopping $5.69 for the bottle. Glad I tied it, but I won't be going back, when I can find dubbels just as good or better for a better price.

Make no mistake, though, a really tasty beer here!

------------

My current bottle cost about $6.50. I recant my previous caveat. There's aren't many better dubbels that are less expensive. Not if we're really honest with ourselves.

No comments: