Thursday, July 3, 2014

Brouwerij Verhaeghe Barbe Ruby Ale


I picked this one up at The Four Firkins nearly two weeks ago, at my first visit to their new store. I'm rather ashamed that I had no idea it was so easy to get to by bicycle, so I'll be going back soon. I was just picking up one bottle, and Michael Wagner steered me to this ale, from the producers of Duchesse de Bourgogne.

Barbe Ruby Belgian Kriek Cherry Ale, Brouwerij Vaerhaeghe Vichte, 7.7% Alc./Vol.

Clouded look on this one, ruby to be sure, dark and dusky, with a small head, soon gone.

Aroma: Sweetness, cherries, some sour, some wild funk, a touch of rhubarb. Not too sweet, but getting close. Intriguing.

Taste: Drinking it in deep, it's a big, juicy thing. Medium-bodied, full and fruity, ending on a dry note. A very tasty kriek, this one. Just enough fruit, just enough sour kick.

I like it. Might be a bit much on the sweet side, but there's nothing wrong with that.

No comments: