Friday, July 25, 2014

Fulton The Expat Rye Saison

You know what's funny? I'm going to tell you. The last Fulton beer I published notes on, the Imperial Farmhouse Ale? That post got more page views than anyone other recently, like four times the normal amount, more than the first part of my tale of traveling to all the breweries in town by bike. I guess there's an interest hearing about my opinions that go against the grain. I meant no ill will, just had to tell the truth...about my opinion. This one? Well, you'll see...

Fulton The Expat Rye Saison.

Slightly clouded, dark amber coloring, with a sizable, snowy head, long lasting.

Aroma: Sweet and spicy rye malt hits the nose first, Pumpernickle-y.

Taste: A blast of Belgian yeast character and rye malt in the mouth. Citrus-y, spicy, tingly and tasty. Fresh and zesty. A lot of lemon in this one, and quite a lot of spice. Might be too much for some, but I don't mind it. On the other hand, I'm not exactly thrilled. For this trio of Fulton's saison I've reviewed recently, this one is firmly in second place, behind the Randonneur, the only one that doesn't veer too far away from the traditional aspects of the style.

There's nothing really wrong with this one, it's a nice beer, but it only makes me wish I had a true saison in my hands. It's a fine drink, my friends, but it doesn't really improve upon the style. I feel like rye malt just shouldn't be included in a saison.

Now, you can feel free to produce evidence of a rye saison that I did like, and I'll have to eat my words.

whoops, you're too late, I found one.
And another. And another??

No comments: