Sunday, December 21, 2014

Lagunitas Imperial Stout


Lagunitas Imperial Stout. Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma, California. Unlimited Release. Alc. by Vol. 9.9%. IBU 72. OG. 1.082. Doggone Good!

Here's a little tale. A few years ago, I bought a bottle of Lagunitas Imperial Stout, and I posed a picture for this blog, (the only picture I've ever taken on my desk in my bedroom), but did not take notes on it. I assumed that, after all these years, I had already reviewed the beer. Later, I checked and couldn't find any notes. How was this possible? I looked for the beer again, and it was sold out. I held onto the picture, to use when I would find a bottle again. I can't explain how, but I just never remembered to get another, never saw it, never thought of it. Held on to that picture, though. Looking back, it's not that great a picture. Anyway, I finally thought to get one, and here comes the review…at last, at long, long last…

Appearance: dark as darkness gets, under a rich, roasted tan head, looking every inch the perfect part of an imperial stout.

Aroma: this has got it all. Vast, deep, dark and mysterious. Maple, molasses, cocoa, carob, and espresso. Great balance. Not too sweet, not too bitter, just right.

Taste: Thick, rich, lush, and heavy, in all the right ways. Motor oily. Black strap molassy. Mmm, mmm. Again, excellent balance, not too big, not too small, juuust right. Body is full as full can be. Rewarding richness, nonstop flavor delivery. As we get deeper in, more flavors unfold. Licorice, now. Treacle. A little sweet, but never bitter, and never too sweet. Just right. Here comes smoke, now, here comes char. Check them out, spooling off, reeling away.


the label has a typical Lagunitan verse on the side, full of fantasy and whimsy and psychedelic-surreal gobbledygook, that I have to put my glasses on to read. But I'm not going to type it. I will read it, though. Excuse me for a bit. Okay, I'm back. Having read it, I recommend it, it's amusing. (Okay, here's your easy pathway: this link.)The beer is worth it, and the small, silly tale is worth it, too, and the price is not dear, so it's easier to clear. ($5 a bomber? Da, comrade.)

No comments: