Sunday, December 14, 2014

New Belgium/Perennial Lips of Fatith: Salted Belgian Chocolate Stout


New Belgium Lips of Faith , NB + Perennial Artisanal Ales Salted Belgian Chocolate (Brewed in the USA) Stout. Alc. 9% by Vol. 

Oooh, lookout that! It's solid black, with a huge, toasted tan head, looking utterly fantastic. Utterly.

Aroma: Gadzooks, if I had to say it, I'd say, yeah, salt comes first. Loads of salt, and then comes the cocoa…along comes sweet chocolate and it's all coming together.

Taste: there it is, the chocolate, and yeah, the salt, and the sweet, the dark, the deep, the delicious. Yeah, it's starting to get really good. Yummy chocolate stout. Mmm, Belgian chocolate…but, …salted?

I have something to confess to the entire world, and I have to admit that I just don't care what happens to me after I announce this to one and all. Here it is…are you ready? Okay….I don't get salt. When a recipe reads "add salt to taste", I have no idea what they're talking about. I never taste food and decide that it needs salt. I don't know what that means. How did I miss that, why don't I have it? In converse, I do feel the need for pepper, at times, but, still, never salt. I don't even know what salt does, or why! This thought never enters my mind: "ooo, I need to salt this!"

So, judge me, now, go ahead, I don't care. And I don't know why you'd want to salt your chocolate stout, but I can taste it. So, the sweetness is down some, there we go…the sweetness is staved off, and you get your salt, …if you want that. (Actually, reading their notes, they say the salt is there to "express sweetness." Not sure if I agree there.)

Time to read that label…."Best enjoyed by March 27, 2016." Whew, got that covered. "Dessert is best poured and the brewers at Perennial agree, so we dreamt up a beer that would bring together chocolate sweetness, Belgian yeast, deeply roasted malts and just the right shake of salt to pour a creamy stout worthy  of a cherry on top."

This is typical of so many of the NB labels. It starts making sense, then falls apart. How the hell does a "shake of salt" "pour a creamy stout"? And what the hell does a "cherry on top" have to do with the thing? (Oh, it's dessert, I get it, duh….sometimes, I am so slow…)

No matter. Despite that nonsense, it's a good beer and I can drink it.

No comments: