Sunday, October 7, 2018

Cigar City Maduro Brown Ale

Cigar City Maduro Brown Ale. 5.5% ABV, 25 IBU. Cigar City Brewing, Tampa, FL.

Dark brown coloration. Fairly opaque, slim brownish head. Looking good.

In the nose: Richness, dark malts. Cocoa. Coconut? Molasses? Sweet and malty.

In the mouth: More of the same. Rich, sweet, tasty, filling. Keeps the palate happy with malty goodness. Touch of cinnamon? More flavor associations keep popping up. Minor hops, if at all. Medium-bodied, excellently consumable, and downright delicious. This sky-rockets to the top of my favorite brown ales. Nothing but niceness in this one.

This is the third one of these I've ever had. The last was in July, the first sample I got from either distributor or brewery rep. Wait, no, it was old distributor rep, then new rep. They don't have a local rep yet, I don't think. I didn't take notes on it in July, because I knew I had this one that I could take notes on. Put this one off for too long. And the first one? According to Untappd it was five years ago, but I didn't indicate where. Probably a friend sharing a can he brought back from Florida. Probably Dave. Thanks, Dave.

Maduro is a Northern English-style brown ale with some American affectations. Maduro is higher in alcohol than the common English brown ale and features flaked oats in the malt bill which imparts a silky body and works to mesh the roasted, toasted and chocolate components together in Maduro’s complex malt profile. The end result is a remarkably full-flavored yet approachable and sessionable brown ale that pairs well with mild to medium cigars. 

No comments: