Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Gray's Bully Porter

Gray's Bully Porter. 4.5% ABV. Gray's Brewing, Janesville, Wisconsin. (Home of Paul Ryan, let us not forget.)

So, Gray's Brewing has been around for awhile. Since 1856, it seems. I feel like they've been distributed here before, or did I get my previous tastes of their beers from friends who visited our neighbor to the East? Well, they're here now. And someone is distributing them, so I got this sample, and I drank down the bottle a few weeks ago, while looking back at my old notes.

Here's what I said about it back in August, 2009.

Dark brown color, smallish cola-tinged head.

Nose is sweet and nutty, not quite as dry or as rough as I'd expect or want from a porter. But nice...

Drinking it...drinks nice. Smooth, sweetish, cola, nuts, ...Medium bodied, mellow, easy-drinking...but flat in the finish, and sparse in flavor. Good, or, perhaps, average, but not great. A bit too watery, a bit lean...wanted more...but, hey, you can drink it...

eh, ...hoo-boy. Not great, this one. Not great at all. Sigh....

What I said nine years ago occurred once more in this new sampling. And now I have new reason to feel conflicted about this beer. In a moment of carelessness back then, the contents of the glass fell all over the keyboard killing that MacBook. Again. Sigh. Damn it, why did it have to be Gray's Bully Porter to kill this computer that I'd had for 2 years? From now on, I take the notes on an iPad and post them the next day.

So, now you get two lessons: don't drink and blog, and avoid this beer.


No comments: