Sunday, February 10, 2019

Oliphant Ultra Tang Milkshake India Pale Ale with Orange and Mango

Oliphant Ultra Tang Milkshake India Pale Ale with Orange and Mango.

It happens again. I'm going to drink a milkshake IPA despite my deep hatred of them. Because I have to try everything Oliphant brews, and they just happen to keep on brewing these detestable bastardizations. Same with other favorite breweries, like Forager, Junkyard, Modist, and more. Is it I who will have to change, or they? Shall I continue to be a contrarian, or fold into the way of the masses?

Clouded ("hazy"), bright orange color, pure white head atop.

In the nose: bold citrus/tropical fruit flavors. Sweet and lovely. Any trace of a typical IPA aromatic lies well below.

In the mouth: Sweet and fruity kicks it off. Low bitterness. Big, juicy fruit. Medium malt. Highly drinkable. Tasty enough stuff.

Once more, my quibbles emanate from this style being called an IPA, when much of what makes an IPA an IPA is stifled, smothered and suffocated. Maybe it started as an IPA, before the lactose and fruit goes in, or vanilla, sometimes, as it does....but in the end, it ain't that no more.

Is that my only objection, that it's not as hoppy as a true IPA, that it so lacks the bitterness that it shouldn't carry the name IPA. The chorus will cry out, "Shut up, old man! Get with the times or get out of the way!" Yeah, maybe I'll be the one to fold. Or not? The constant battle.

No comments: