Thursday, February 28, 2019

Utepils Springbok

Utepils Springbok. 6.8% ABV. 36 IBU. Utepils Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

Clear, bright golden, large white head.

In the nose: clean, light malt sweetness. Light cereal touches.

In the mouth: Bam! Big blast of malt flavors, clean and crisp and bursting with flavor. Starts out sweet, and ends on a dry note. "Heller bock", I ask myself, what is a Heller bock? I've heard of Helles Lagers, and Keller Pilsners, but...I'm going to have to Google it. And lo, and behold, it's just another term for a Maibock, a style I've been familiar with for quite some time. Blonde bock is another way to put it, a light colored strong lager brewed for the spring time season.

Strong flavors. Big malt, slightly sweet, minor bitterness, (but much more than a traditional bock) hearty and satisfying. I'm sold. This is solid stuff.

And I like how they took the concept of the Bock beer, made for the spring, and named it for the African antelope known for the spring in it's step.

Let's watch some springbok pronking, shall we?

This is a terrific Heller Bock, or Maibock, or whatever we want to call it. I'm really enjoying this can, and I'll be drinking more of this in the months to come.


It's worth surviving a long, cold winter if you get to drink this in the spring. Springbok represents the gleeful leap from winter dreariness to spring renewal. It has all the depth and strength of a wintry lager, balanced with enough lightness to put a spring in your step.

No comments: