Monday, November 4, 2019

Barrel Theory Not On My Worst Day West Coast IPA

Barrel Theory Not On My Worst Day West Coast IPA.
7.5 % ABV. ? IBU. Barrel Theory Beer Company, St. Paul, MN.

Barrel Theory Beer Company of St. Paul opened up in the summer of 2017 and their beers have appeared here in the Nib a total of nine times prior to this post, all of those occasions being reviews from growlers that I've taken home from visits to the taproom. I've been there maybe six times, most of them in company of my good friend Ed. This is the first beer I'll review from them that I did not transport back from St. Paul, and that's because Ed brought it to me in Minneapolis. That's what a good friend Ed is.

There's an important reason that Ed bought a crowler and crossed the river to give it to me. This beer seems to be the first non-hazy IPA ever produced by BT. I'm taking Ed's word for it, for he goes there much more than I. (None of their IPAs reviewed here in the Nib have any clarity.) And both Ed and I are very bored of the ubiquitous hazy IPA. Come on, already, people! Get off the haze train!

Well, they did, and Ed liked it so much, that he made sure that I could review it here, before it goes away. And notes begin....now.

Crystal clear, light amber/bronze coloration, sim white head on top.

In the nose: Citrus and pine, grapefruit, lime, tangerine, lemon rind. Classic West Coast IPA aroma. If a bit subdued.

In the mouth: Big blast of hop bitterness and juicy citrus fruit flavors right from the start. Bitterness lays long on the palate, but slide off in time. Medium bodied, lush malt, easy drinker. Pops with all the classic citrus and pine flavors, with just a little bit of extra juiciness. This one is giving me all the hop flavors I demand, without this cushion that seems to be demanded these days. An old school IPA. The kind that old school beer fans that Ed and I love.

I'm feeling good now. It's making me think of all my favorite IPAs. This doesn't happen with the haze craze for daze IPAze. This one is not only yum, it is yum-a-dum-dum.

This is pretty much absolutely perfect. Make more, BT, make more. Evade the haze! Phooey on the fuzzy!

West Coast IPA with Simcoe, Centennial, Amarillo, & Cascade hops

No comments: