Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Three Floyds Alpha Klaus Christmas Porter

Three Floyds Alpha Klaus Christmas Porter
6 % ABV. 33 IBU. Three Floyds Brewing, Munster, Indiana

More Three Floyds beers are being released into our market, including some I've never had before. But, because I can't take all the beers home on the bus with me, I had to pick one and that one was this one that I first had 15 years ago. Acquired a bomber in a trade with an Indianian (?), and reviewed on BeerAdvocate.com in November, 2004. Here are those notes, warts and all:

deep brown color, with crimson highlights peeking through, blessed with a thick, prodigious cocoa-tan head...

Aroma: mmm, roasty-toasty, cinnamon, ginger, toffee, coffee, and cream...oh, yummy, oh, very good...nice as it gets...

Taste: Very smooth, yet terribly dark and full in the body, full in the flavor, ...a spicy, tastiness rings through the edges and uplifts and illuminates every aspect of the experience...nutmeg and clove...

Body never flags, stays full, and continually delivers flavor...finish isn't as strong as I'd like, but hangs on well enough...

overall, an excellent winter warmer/spiced ale, not a surprise from this outstanding brewery...wish it were easier to find though...

In 2019, would I change these notes? Less ellipses, more capitalization, better grammar and punctuation. About the beer, no. I wouldn't pull back on the enthusiasm. Maybe throw in a "yum, a dum, dum." And I'm so glad it is easier to find, now days.

No comments: