Monday, April 13, 2020

Beaver Island Axe Dragger India Pale Ale

Beaver Island Axe Dragger India Pale Ale.
6.3 % ABV. 59 IBU.
Beaver Island Brewing, St. Cloud, MN.

Clear, bright golden hue, sizable and lasting white head.

In the nose: Weird. Off. Cooked vegetables and butterscotch. Flaws up and down.

In the mouth: Foul from the start, rotten all the way. I can't judge any of it, because the off flavors are too distracting. Diacetyl. Skunky. Bad taste in the mouth.

So, I picked this one up at a local store, with high hopes. I've like everything I've had from Beaver Island, why not try out this new IPA. I opened can #1 and it tasted exactly like this one. Next next four cans were used for cooking, although I drank some, holding my nose, putting the flaws out of mind. Each time, I hoped anew that it was maybe just some of the cans, not the whole batch. There's no way they'd release a beer so badly infected, right?

I held onto that hope right up to this last one. Maybe I just got unlucky with the first five? Is that possible? No, of course not, they're all bad. How could they have sent this to market?

This one is going down the drain. I'm not wasting one more minute on it. Ew. Flat-out terrible. Blech.

Folklore says it was Paul’s dragging axe that carved the Mississippi river. A story that inspired this legendary IPA, sculpted with MN’s own Mighty Axe Hops.

No comments: