Sunday, April 19, 2020

Hayes Public House O'Ruaidhri's Irish Red Ale

Hayes Public House O'Ruaidhri's Irish Red Ale.
5.5 % ABV. 25 IBU.
Hayes Public House, Buffalo, MN.

And here we have only the second appearance of Hayes' Public House in over four years, here in the Nib. The first visit in 2016 was recounted in this blog post. I've seen bottles before, but they were a bit out of my price range. I've had a sample and shared a cheers with Pugs' at beer fests, but never came across kegs on tap anywhere else, or had the chance to order any myself. My good friends Jeff and Renee saw these for sale at a recent beer run, and thought of me. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for more in the future. For now, let's enjoy this one...but don't ask me to pronounce the name.

Mostly clear, dark crimson coloring, slim reddish head.

In the nose: Sweet, malty, slightly fruity. Not a trace of hops, just right for the style.

In the mouth: Tasty, sweet malt delivery on the palate first, quickly balanced by the merest amount of hop bitterness. Big caramel, with a twist of toffee. Perfect balance in this one. Slides right away and leaves you thirsty for another. Medium bodied, light malty finish, and quite consumable.

Although I don't often drink them, I like a good Irish Red Ale, and this is one of them.



Gaelic Origin: Surname for Rogers

Gaelic Pronunciatoin: "O'Rory"

Flavour: Medium bodied Irish Red Ale with sweet notes of caramel and toffee. Brewed with a unique blend of malts imported directly from Ireland and Britain. 

No comments: