Monday, March 14, 2022

Junkyard Undersea World Belgian-style Golden Ale

 Junkyard Undersea World Belgian-style Golden Ale.

6.8% ABV. Junkyard Brewing, Moorhead, MN.


Here's a beer I would have bought, except that I got it for free. It's by Junkyard, it's in a favorite style, and one I've never tried from this brewery. And it was only $10.99 for the 4-pack. I would have bought it, but for the getting it for free. Maybe if I like it well enough, I'll buy one. Let's see. 

Bright golden hue, large, lush ivory head, clouded, though it oughtn't be. 

In the nose: bubble gum and banana kick it off. Light fruit, delicate spice, ethereal yeast notes. Nice,

In the mouth: Bubblegum and banana again on the palate. Citrus speaks up, some light spice dances on the tongue. It's a bit busier in the mouth than it ought to be, should be crisper and cleaner, to be of my liking, but it's not bad at all. This would have done well with some filtering. But it's got enough of the good stuff to keep me happy. 

Almost. I felt the promise of the higher ABV coming on, then falling short. And then I find out it's only 6.8% ABV, not 8%+. I don't really think about Belgian Golden Ales that aren't Belgian Strong Golden Ales. Isn't that just a Belgian Blonde Ale? 

In the end, I like it, I just wish it would be making me drunker. 

Come on an Undersea Water adventure with us!? Growing up Aaron loved and still loves watching the undersea adventures of explorer Jacques-Yves Cousteau. That was the inspiration for the label. If you haven't seen any of Cousteau's underwater footage, we highly recommend giving them a view. Preferably with an Undersea World Belgian Style Golden Ale in your hand.

Flavor profile: A great balance of banana, honey, and clove.

No comments: