Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Sweetwater 420 Imperial IPA

 Sweetwater 420 Imperial IPA.

9.1% ABV, Sweetwater Brewing, Atlanta, GA. 


And here we go again. Despite my dedication to sampling all the double/imperial IPAs I can find (minus the hazy/New England ones that I despise, of course), I didn't snatch this one up right away. But, once it was in a 19.2 oz. can, that's when I buy it to try it. It doesn't make financial sense, unless it turns out that I don't actually like it. That's where $3 for this big can works out to be a better deal than $10 for 72 oz, all told. Let's see if I was right to go with this format. 

Clear, crimson hued. nice dollop of milky froth atop. 

In the nose: Sweet notes, beeries and other fruit. Specifically: Crunchberries. It's that kind of sweetness. Not quite the hop aroma I was looking for. 

In the mouth: More berries, slight citrus. Minimal bitterness. Hop flavors abound amid a malty mouthfeel. Some citrus sneaks in, but it's hard to pick apart among the mess. And a mess it is. If you only want to high ABV and some manner of hop flavors, sure, it works for you. For me, it's lacking a lot. I mean, I can drink it, and that buzz is coming around, but the thrill is not here. 

A craft classic deserves imperial treatment. A fresh take on ingedients from the original 420, this bold, flavor-packed new brother features a fresh combo of hops for added intensity and complexity, creating flavors and aromas of mango, peach, pineapple, citrus, and pine. The result is a well-balanced Imperial IPA thats a super tasty, higher abv brew.

No comments: