Thursday, March 31, 2022

Orkney Skull Splitter Scotch Ale/ Wee Heavy

Orkney Skull Splitter Scotch Ale. 


8.5 % ABV, 55 IBU. The Orkney Brewery, Stromness, The Orkney Islands, Scotland.

Skull Splitter, Skull Splitter! When was the last time that I saw Orkney Skull Splitter? It's been many a year. And out of the blue, some showed up at the store where I work. I had to get a 4-pack and reunite myself with this old chum. Here are my notes from way back in June of 2004. I gave it a 3.82 out of 5, which was 6.4 % below the average. Was that right of me? Probably not. I can't excuse the behavior of the me of 18 years ago. Yet, I still share these ancient ramblings. 

Clear, bright garnet hue,nearing auburn, with huge carbonation, bubbles all over the place, with a flush head of beige foam that goes down in a flurry of vanishing bubbles.

Aroma, deeply, darkly malty, woody, some spices float about in the nose, caramel, some fruitiness, dark ones, grapes and cherries, a wealth of complexities...

nice taste, caramel leads the flavor, just nearly definable as "rich", but not quite..nay, not quite as full in the mouth as we'd hope, and then the booze kicks in, and it tastes something like a blend of dark rum and cherry brandy. I swear I wasn't drinking officer, well, one teensy little beer, maybe...

Body's a bit medium, finish is, too, doesn't quite maintain a presence on the palate. Overall, a tasty, boozy blend of malt and fruit. 

For the sake of my skull, though, I plan to visit this brew at well-spaced intervals.


Guess what? I still like like it.


Skull Splitter has a rich fruity wine-like complexity. Flavours include fresh and dried fruits; warm exotic spice and mellow summer fruity notes.  


Sophisticated, satiny smooth and full flavoured beer. It is one of our strongest beers, named after Thorfinn Einarsson the 7th Viking Earl of Orkney. 


Pair with fruit puddings and or rich dark meats such as venison or alternatively, Skullsplitter is a delight as a digestif.


No comments: