Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Kros Strain Barrel Aged Imperial Stout

Kros Strain Barrel Aged Imperial Stout.

13% ABV, Kros Strain Brewing, La Vista, NE. 

So, there I was, minding my own business, doing my job, and someone asks me to help him pick out 24 beers to take back home to Omaha. New England IPAs, preferably, and some weird, stuff, too. Okay, so, 6 4-packs, that should be easy, and I grab from Modist and BlackStack and Falling Knife and Lupulin, it's fairly quick and pailnless, and he thanks me, pays up, takes it to the car and returns to give me this can, from his brewery in La Vista, Nebraska. I never would have heard of them, if not for this incident. And now I will drink this beer. 

First of all, what kind of name is Kros Strain Brewing? I'm going to make a wild guess and say that a guy named Kros meet a guy named Strain. I might be wrong, though. 

Imperial Stout aged in Willett barrels for 20 months. With toasted coconut and hazelnuts added. I am eternally grateful that they did not refer to it as a pastry stout.

Strictly Stygian appearance, absolute opacity, slim to no head. 

In the nose: Coconut bomb. Flavor comes screaming out of the glass. Let's go in deeper. Coconut smothers everything. Not even getting any hazelnut, let alone the other barrel flavors or RIS flavors. It's all coconut. 

In the mouth: HUGE coconut flavors, with more trying to escape form underneath. Rich malt, thick, impenetrable, and sweet, with possibly some small hazelnut flavors showing, but I am also not really picking up any bourbon effects, either. It seems that everything has been swallowed up by the coconut. That might work for you, but, as for me, I'd like a little bourbon feeling in there somewhere. 

If you're coockoo for coconuts and in the Omaha area, go for it. 

Imperial stout aged for 20 months in Willett Whiskey barrels then finished with over 100 lbs of toasted coconut and hazelnut. Dessert in a glass! 


No comments: