Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Surly 16 Grit Double IPA 2022 vs. Abrasive Ale

 Surly 16 Grit Double IPA 2022.


10%  ABV. Surly Brewing, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

There are two entries here for a beer called Abrasive Ale. In the first, I reused my notes on 16 Grit, it’s original incarnation, from December 2008 as I consumed can of AA. But were they really the same beer? Did they just change the name or were there other changes? 

Years later, I at last reviewed AA from a can. And now here we have 16 Grit in a crowler, purchased at the brewery on October 8, Darkness Day, which I held on to until today, when Abrasive was released again. I will have one and the other, to compare. And then, I’ll probably have to go to sleep.

Clear, with a slight chill haze, deep golden hue, large and long lasting ivory head. 

In the nose: dank, devious, devilish. Orange, marmalade, grapefruit, cooked to fine carameling. Citrus explosion, with grassy/ piney notes at the side. 

In the mouth: pow! Pummels the palate, blasts the tongue and scorches the roof of the mouth. Candied apricot and seared mango. At 10% ABV, this would be called a triple IPA by some according to the latest calibrations, but it feels like the flavors I attribute to a triple IPA. Much malt, some juicy sweetnesses, but overall, powerful and overloaded with hops. Full body, long hoppy, bitter finish, incredible flavors that will not quit the palate or remove from memory. Amazing. 

I’m looking on BeerAdvocate, to find original information for the initial 16 Grit. It says that I haven’t reviewed it and that it was added to their system on 10/09/2022. Also, it lists the ABV as 9.2%, where my crowler says 10%. The ABV listed for AA (I keep called it that, though the label no longer does) is 9.2%. Looking on the AA listing, I find my 2008 16 Grit notes. Are the the same? Let’s open an Abrasive and find out...


Softer, paler color, larger head,....milder nose, more floral, less harsh....and to the taste....more sweetness, but no lack of hoppy flavors. Not as dank, harsh, punishing...body is smooth, delicious,  none too gritty...I feel I had too much 16 G left in the mouth and did not do a proper palate cleanse...gone for a quick water....

Man, Abrasive Ale is one of my all time favorite beers, and it is so different from 16 Grit, at least this current version, which may be exactly like the old one. How did I ever think they were the same beer? Is it the oats? Different hops? Rates of hopping? Two completely different animals. And while 16 G is a mighty, untamable beast, Abrasive is a more comfortable creature, a support double IPA, you might say. 

The name is an homage to Surly's original brewery, former home to Sparky Abrasives. 16 Grit is one of the coarsest sandpaper types, and the beer lives up to it, providing a pleasing, super-Citra-hopped punch in the mouth for all to enjoy. 

No comments: