Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Cigar City Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout


Cigar City Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout.

12.5% ABV, Cigar City Brewing, Tampa, Florida. 

According to Untappd, I’ve tasted this one before, as early as 2013, but I took no notes or pics and can only assume it was some friend or friendly stranger’s generosity. For this can I must think the friendly stranger who gave it to my sister at Russian River, and also thank my sister, who gave it to me.

Deep ebony, full opacity, brief brown head.

In the nose: deep, rich, murky,sweet. Dark fruit mingles with molasses. More red wine than raisins. Plums, a little. More dark malt flavors slowly emerge.

In the mouth: chocolate pops onto the scene, with a hint of espresso. Alcohol comes in strong from the start. Fruity throughout. A bit sweeter than I am used to in the Imperial Stouts that I enjoy. And then along comes cinnamon. Chocolate and cinnamon are now masters of the palate atop this mountain of malt. 

This is not my favorite style of RIS, but I enjoy it nonetheless. 

Central to Mayan mythology is the story of twin brothers named Xbalanque and Hunahpu, the Hero Twins. After the Twins’ father was murdered by evil deities from Xibalba, his corpse became a cacao tree that spawned our two Heroes. Epic adventures followed, culminating in a journey to Xibalba to avenge their father’s death. Vanquishing their enemies handily, the Heroes then ascended unto the heavens where they became the sun and the moon.


No comments: