Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Lagunitas Maximus 2022

Lagunitas Maximus 2022. Colossal IPA. Robusticus Flavorcus. For all the Hop heads.

9% ABV, 60 IBU. Lagunitas Brewing, Petaluma, California & Chicago, Illinois.,

This is a re-review. In 2015, I did a post about this beer, using my notes from 2003. I wasn’t impressed, then, for whatever reason. And this year, the beer was packaged in cans and 12-packs at a very attractive price. I decided to try it again, and saved the last one for this re-review. 

Clear, deep golden hue, large, lace leaving ivory head.

In the nose: floral, slightly citric. 

In the mouth: dank and snappy. Big time resinous and citrusy. Increasingly sticky icky. Candied apricots to mingle with orange and grapefruit. Emerging alcohol blazes the palate. Booze befuddles the senses. I’m liking it. It’s got a lot going on. And I can dig it. It’s not my all-time favorite, but it’ll do in a pinch.

Our Colossal take on a Double IPA, full of Simcoe, Cascade & Centennial hops balanced against tons of rich malted barley. Kinda like our IPA on steroids. Flavor so hoppy it threatens to remove the enamel from one's teeth.


No comments: