Tuesday, November 29, 2022

BlackStack Shine On NEIPA

 BlackStack Shine On NEIPA.

6.9% ABV. BlackStack Brewing, St. Paul, MN.

I remember the first time I heard someone say “DIPA” as if it was a word, not an abbreviation. Dippa. Does anyone pronounce IPA as Eye-pa? Do people ever read these cans and want to say “knee-pa”? Or maybe Nay- pa? I think about these things. 

Lightly clouded, bright golden hue, slim white head.

In the nose: soft and citrusy. Mellow. Floral. Faint tropical.

In the mouth: Juicy/fruity. Soft and sweet. Traces of pineapple and guava. Bits of low level orange and lemon. Even lower level bitterness. Altogether unremarkable.

It’s no secret that I’m not moved by the Neipas out there, by and large. I like some better than others, but they’re not for me. I accepted this free sample gladly, so I can’t go out of my way to blast it. I remain disheartened that blander versions of this ubiquitous style are the default setting at so many breweries.

We got together with the Children's Hospital of Minnesota's Shine Bright for Cancer Kids Foundation to support their mission of supporting children & their families dealing with cancer & blood disorders. These kids are extremely strong & resilient, just like diamonds, so we loaded up this gem of an IPA with Citra, Citra Cryo, Simcoe, Simcoe Cryo &  Cascade Noble hops with Phantasm. Shine bright... like a diamond.

Oh, it’s a charity beer. You’re not allowed to criticize them. Now, don’t I look like a jerk.

No comments: