Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Colder Than A Witches Wit


Saturday, December 11 shall be known as the day the world now knows Minneapolis for caved-in Metrodomes, and not just collapsed bridges. The snow was so horrible, it took me an hour to go to the corner store 2 blocks away for emergency rations. Stomping through un-shoveled sidewalks, trying to cut through unplowed parking lots, navigating streets whose terrains have been halved by the massive snow dump, while it's still falling and blowing in my face. My shoelaces came undone and the snow found it's way into my shoes. I got home exhausted, distraught, my heart palpitating, and anxious about what the day would bring. In my long travel through a short distance, I saw at least 5 cars stuck in the snow drift. No one had any reason to go out, be out, travel for any reason. It took a small amount of convincing, but I got my bosses to close up work, or, actually, never open. And stayed home with my music and my movies, my cat and my frozen pizza from the corner store, and went through with the idea of re-starting this blog. The first beer, as you saw, if you were paying attention was the Ommegang BPA. Number Two of the night was one procured through trade from Californian Jason D. He got me a Pizza Port that I've been after for years, Cuvee de Tomme (or is it a Lost Abbey brew, now?), a Russian River, and this Lost Abbey brew that got so much attention/publicity for it's label illustration. I sent him a Darkness 2010, Smoke 2009, and Four. We both were happy with the exchange. Well, until I drank the Witches Wit. (Kidding..kind of...)

The Lost Abbey Witches Wit, Malt Beverage brewed with honey and spices.

The label art depicts a medieval village, wherein an act of fatal violence is perpetrated against a purported black arts dealer. Florid, over-wrought, heavy-handed label copy goes on and on describing the scene, and only bothers to describe the ale as "a light and refreshing wheat beer", and as "exactly the sort of thing you'd expect to find being passed around the center of town on witch burning day." Whatever the hell that means.

Lightly hazed, pale yellow aroma, very small head, slims to nil in a minute. Bit disappointing.

Aromatics, light spices, minor fruit. Not smelling much like a wit, not feeling the orange or coriander, or the wheat.

Taste: Light bodied and flavorless. Watery. Little mouthfeel or texture.
Extremely minor spice, and fleeting wheat character. A bit of celery, with a drizzle of lemon. No reason to call it a wit, if it ain't. Or is this a joke? Did I get a bad bottle, or was this their intention?

This is what they'd be drinking when they murder on witch suspicion? Does that imply that witch burners have terrible taste? I've got half a mind that the witch burning image was a desperate ditch at drumming up sales on this loser.

blah!
------------------------------------
A little sad to encounter a lackluster Lost Abbey, especially since it seems to get good reviews from others. Too old? Mishandled? Not sure what happened.
I closed the night with better beers. Surly Smoke, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, Victory Old Horizontal. Nice way to end a snowed-in day, I'd say.

No comments: