Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Lift Bridge Minnesota Tan


I try and I try, but sometimes it happens, like it or not. Grabbed the last two kegs of Minnesota Tan, the lingonberry-infused Belgian-style tripel ale from Stillwater's Lift Bridge Brewery (not quite an actual brewery yet, still being contract-brewed elsewhere), right at the end of summer. They sat in the cooler waiting for just the right line to open up until late October. Here we are at the end of the year, and I still have a summer seasonal on. Nothing wrong with it, still tasting fine, just seems out of place among our double chocolate stouts and wintry Belgian ales.

Here are my notes from an October 26 tasting:

"Rethink pink" is on the tap handle, due to the change-up in coloration from earlier batches. Lingonberries just weren't that easy to find, this time around.

But it definitely looks the part of a tripel, that's for sure. Clouded, golden-hued, full head of snow white foam above. Large and lace-leaving. Lovely.

Aroma: straw, spice, citrus. soft and sensuous.

Flavor: Here's where the flavor comes in, fruity, tart, plump with berries in the mouth. A little lemon, a little lime, mixed up with the berries. Whisper of banana. (Not that familiar with the Swedish fruit, so I'm a little lost on that.) Resembles a softer cranberry, to me.
Full-bodied, and full flavored. Medium finish, hangs lightly on the palate, softly fades away. Gets a little sweet in the end, finishes gracefully and encourages another drink.

I like this better than the pink batch. And it might be my favorite Lift Bridge, yet. Although I need to give Biscotti another try.

This is tasty stuff, indeed.

No comments: