Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Schell's Snowstorm 2010


The SnowStorm series from 150-year old August Schell Brewing Company, second oldest family-owned brewery in America, is a yearly showcase for the brewer's talents. There was a streak in the middle of the last decade when I was not impressed with their offerings of this wintry output. Sure, it's a one-off, but a brown ale or an ESB, even if it's not what a traditional German brewery normally makes, just doesn't stand out. Give us something big, deep, dark, spicy, complex, give us something to stand up to a snowstorm! (Years ago, I believe it was called Blizzard Ale. )
I may be wrong, but I think the cap has to go off to Dave Berg for steering the ship straight on this series recently. A stout several years ago, that's now a staple. A Belgian Dubbel (my favorite style) 2 years ago, and a Baltic Porter last (tapped that at the Nile, and it was gone quick!). It only got better this year, and so, ...

Schell's Snowstorm 2010, Weizen Doppelbock Beer

12 oz. bottle. Pouring into an Aventinus glass, because I don't have any branded Schell's glassware that suits the style. Perhaps I need to remedy that, but, on the other hand, this is the beer that sets the standard for this style.

Dark purplish-brown coloration, huge fluffy beige head, lace-leaving, very impressive.

Amazing aromatics, huge and in orbit, banana cream pie, with cloves on top. Drizzle of lemon, and a double hit of spice. Light and airy, yet deep and substantive. This is exactly what I'd want from a weizenbock. Love it.

Drinking it: High carbonation, spritzy, yet smooth, lush malt, tastes lovely. Sweet, yet mild, lightly spicy. Maybe a little lighter on the mouthfeel than I'd like, but I'm oh, so picky. And, actually, I have a hard time finding a flaw with this one. So, let me have that one thing, okay?

Tasty as all get out, hits the right notes for the style, delivers deliciousness. Another knockout in the Snowstorm series, and, damnit, the last one in my six-pack. Time to go out shopping!

No comments: