Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Scaldis Noel



The Brasserie Dubuisson makes a variety of strong ales under the name of Bush. Unfortunately, a large American (formerly, now Belgian-owned) beer firm dislikes the similarity to their family name and kindly requests they call it something else on our shores. Scaldis, it is. Scaldis Noel was part of Belg-a-Rama #2. These are my notes from a bottle consumed in February, 2003:

"At $4.99 for a tidy 8.48 oz. bottle, this is the champ for the title of most expensive beer I've ever purchased. Was it worth it? It was worth the try, but I don't imagine breaking the bank to stock up on this tiny powerhouse.
Muddy, dark brown in color, creeping on violet, with small yeasty particles floating about, and a small, diminishing head. Aroma is heady and deep, dominated by fruit associations of the grape variety. Sweet, but not too hoppy. Malt is predominant to an incredible degree. Full and fierce on the tongue, with hops showing off to give a good charge upon the palate. And alcohol follows into the fray, and never lets go...
One sip in, and I'm feeling drunk already! Look at me, one leg in the air, arm wrapped around a lamppost, swinging to no discernable rhythm, finger crooked inside the handle of a little brown jug, marked XXX, singing, "How Dry I Am"...
Body is full, flavor is thick and fascinating, and boozy!, texture is marvelous, altogether, a formidable and unforgettable beer!
However, the large grape/wine flavor, and the 12% ABV make me wonder how a glass of 14% Shiraz doesn't smack me up like Scaldis does?"

The keg just killed today, but I didn't go without my personal fill. Awesome stuff, smoother and maltier on tap, but still sharp, strong, and very brandy-ish, barley-wine-like. A great cold-weather treat.

I think I've beat the price once or twice, and still wonder about the booze effect.

No comments: