Friday, December 31, 2010

A Gulden Draak Christmas (Vintage 2010)

Yes, it is New Year's Eve as I type, but there's always a little catching up to do in life. So, here's the brew I had for Christmas.
Now, I'm not "big" on Christmas, don't "get into" the whole "thing" of it. No offense to those who practice, participate, or celebrate, but the rituals don't resonate with me, and I don't enjoy two solid months of holly, Santa, and tra la la la la.
Now, if there were another holiday that one and all were forced to recognize, salute and sanctify, say, St. Satchelmouth's Day, honoring the birth of Louis Armstrong, that would be another thing. We'd eat red beans and rice, call each other "gate", talk in gravelly tones, speak highly of our favorite laxatives, and sing chorus after chorus of "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal, You", which we've all known from heart since childhood. But I don't think that's happening in my lifetime. Unless...

Anyhow, Christmas. Not a joiner on that one, but I don't forsake the family gatherings for any silly reason like that, because I see the brood so seldom, and really enjoy checking in with the young ones. Great joy was had in playing with 4-year old Teagan's new collection of Star Wars action figures, handed down from cousin Daniel. His mother, my sister Jean, remarked that I was having more funs with those toys than the gifts she gave me. Not to depreciate the black shirt and the bread mix, which I did enjoy, and will will use over and over again, but you just don't have the same "fun" as pairing Admiral Ackbar and R2-D2 against Darth Vader with see-through helmet and 3 separate stormtroopers. Especially with adorable Teagan.

In the post-Christmas interview, Teagan told her mom that the highlight of the day was playing Star Wars with Uncle Al. Yeah, sweet...and so, after a rather ho-hum hip-hop show back at work Christmas night, I had to pull out my own action figures to create a scenario in which Greedo definitely shot first...and took down a bomber of a brand new variation on one of my old favorites, Gulden Draak. Here are my notes from that tasting:

"Gulden Draak Vintage Ale 2010

Festive living ale, double by style, brown-ruby color, balances a natural malt sweetness, with a hoppy gently touch. Creamy head and full body. A real treasure!
Refermented int the bottle. Read more on about the brewery and the 900 year history of the golden dragon on wwwl.globalbeer.com,etc

Ruddy dark brown body, plummy, effervescent head, big and bilious, tall, lace-leaving, long-lasting.

Aroma: Belgian yeast, fruit, and spice, the regular Magilla. Cloves and cherries, cinnamon and grape, a little ripe. Very rounded, warm, fruity, & wondrous.

Taste: big spice and carbonation hits the palate first…big fruit, lush, sweet malt, very yummy, alcohol somewhat muted…mm, mm, mmm.
ZADSFGHJMN `10-p\][pq
}=[-06543w2q1 1`q90op-=[]\}['p;loikjuhygtfrds1"

"Somewhat muted"...famous last words, my friends...

No comments: