Monday, December 20, 2010

Sly Fox Pikeland Pils


#4 in the Woody Sends, Sly Fox can series.

Sly Fox Pikeland Pils

"North German Style Pilsner, light in body and refreshingly dry on the palate, this multiple award-winning Pilsner is the ideal beer for any season or occasion. Brewed in classic fashion with German Pils malt and German and Czech hops. OG 11.7 Plato, 44 IBUs, 4.9% abv. "

I'm putting this into a Samuel Adams glass, because I can't find any real German pilsner glasses in my collection. Plenty of pints and strangely shaped Belgians, but none of those, alas and alack.

Cloudy, and pale dirty yellow appearance, nice white head, lace-leaving, starts big and drifts down.

Aroma: noble hops and yeast predominant. Light, airy, floral, perfumey. And a little off…

Taste: Crisp hop bite up front, grabs the palate, and wakes the sleeping senses. Malt is almost thick in this. Unfiltered. Judging by appearance, and now taste, yeah, there's plenty of yeast flavor in this. But, though I normally like yeast in my beer, this one feels like it shouldn't belong. I want to use the word dirty again. And I almost never want that. Too murky to be a classic German pils, if that's really what it wants to be…but, wait, Al, aren't you the one who likes lagers better with yeast in them? Yeah, that is me, undeniably…

In this one, though, the yeast isn't integrated enough with the rest of the flavors and competes and drowns out what should be clean, crisp and refreshing. I drank it, and I didn't dislike it, but it just didn't work out.

No comments: