Thursday, December 23, 2010

In Darkest Night...



There were a number of releases and events happening yesterday, Tuesday, the 21st. First Day of Winter, Solstice, Darkest Day of the Year, and there were several bars and pubs adding interest in the name of beer. I made it out to two of them on my day off, first of all, Tim Johnson's fine array of stouts and imperial stouts at his fine restaurant, Haute Dish, probably my favorite eatery around. Descutes The Abyss, Great Divide Yeti, Big Sky Ivan the Terrible, Surly Darkness, Bell's Expedition, Avery the Czar, & Odell Bourbon Barrel, all available as flights. I did the first three as a flight, then a Darkness (can't pass up Darkness, ever!) and finally an Ivan, a beer I've rarely had. Why? Twenty dollars a bottle. But, wait, Al, don't you yearly pay $20 per bottle for Surly Darkness? yeah, but that's Surly Darkness. And didn't you just spend $20 on a Duvel Triple Hop bottle? Also, true, but that's Duvel. It's not as if I don't like or trust Big Sky Brewing, it's just that my affection for them doesn't grant them that level of trust that's required in dropping a Jackson for a single bomber.

After soaking up the malty goodness last night, I may reconsider that. I took notes on this one, something I don't often do while sitting at the bar, or restaurant. But considering not only the price tag, but the rarity, I took pen to paper, and snapped a shot.

The details will be shown in the accompanying graphic, so here's my bare bones scribblings....

Appearance: blackest black, 1/2" creamy cocoa/tan head.

Aroma: Grassy/hoppy nose, bourbon & molasses below (hadn't realized it was barrel-aged when I had it), charcoal & chocolate.

Taste: big, fat malt attack, hops riding high above. Nice bitter blast, fading into a deep morass of caramel, char, toast & roast. Great balance in this, an even ride between bitterness & sweet malt (sweetness cut to nil), alcohol strength stays sly, but roars in, eventually. Not terribly full-bodied for an RIS, but over-flowing with flavor. Long, bittersweet finish.

All in all, this one deserves entry into the pantheon. Forgive me for underestimating you, Ivan. I hope to make your acquantaince again

1 comment:

Kris said...

In complete agreement about the trust level with Big Sky, although I must give them some credit during my early craft beer days and the countless pints of Moose Drool I consumed.
I haven't seen this beer, but then again I haven't been looking for it either. May have to see if there is any of it left out this way, in bombers or on tap.