Sunday, August 14, 2011

Flying Dog Wild Dog Barrel-aged Gonzo Imperial Porter

A funny thing keeps happening. When I first ordered a keg of Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter for the Nile, I didn't notice a couple letters written in marker on the paper label around the center of the keg. "BA", it read. For...barrel-aged? I tapped to be sure, and wouldn't you know, that was whiskey in there! All of the kegs at the distributor were the same, although we paid a fairly small amount for what was supposed to be regular Gonzo Imperial Porter. Next thing you know, they're selling them at about $40 more a keg. And last week, I ordered more Gonzo bottles. Did you want the Barrel-aged, or regular, I was asked. Regular. The case arrives, we're invoiced for regular, and the bottles are all barrel-aged Wild Dog 12 ounces, which I didn't even know existed. Okay, I'll take it. And enjoy it. And so, here's my initial review, from a big ol' bomber, back in November, 2007: --------------------------------------------------------- Wild Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter Hmmm...this is a trip. Solid black, with a cherry-tan head...yeah, it's light brown, but only as it's a subdued red...most unusual, and most attractive. Beautiful. Poured into a snifter glass, a deep aroma wafts out, rich, lovely rustic whiskey notes...vast and gorgeous. There's the oak and the cavernous malt, ruby tinges, cherry notes, cabernet, and more...I'm loving this. Taste: mmmm, ....ahhh...whoooaaa...words, though, words I what we need, so... damn! This slays me. Genius. Thick, solid porter absolutely awash in ...this upliftingly wonderfulness...the label says it was aged in oak whiskey barrels, but I swear it tastes like it was blended with wine. One drawback is that it seems to lose some of the porter-y character, and the oak flavors mask all that...but, I sure do like it. Let's just say I'm tickled...yummy. Doesn't feel like 9.5%...really...not much... you know, what? I like it, I don't care what you think...this is damned good. Wicked good. Gonzo good. Yup.

No comments: