Monday, August 8, 2011

Summit Unchained No. 7: Honeymoon Saison



Summit Honeymoon Saison, Unchained No. 7

Lightly clouded, golden colored, slim, soon gone head.

Mild aromatics, clean, sweet, malty…not much else to report.

Taste: enters the palate politely, cleanly, with a malty edge, honey sweetness slowly, but surely entering in. Grainy mouthfeel, not as much from citrus and spice.

I'm going to do something unkind. I've just poured a Saison Dupont, and will compare the two. …hmmm, …mmmm,….ha. huh. oh.

Fuller malty mouthfeel than we require...

This Unchained offering simply lacks crispness and character. There's nothing terribly wrong with it, except for everything.
What can I say, it drinks down easily, it's inoffensive, it has taste and flavor, but does not in any way deliver what a saison should, honey or no honey, beyond those already declared attributes.
It's "a beer", but any similarities to a true saison are faded in the distance. Needs to be both lighter and brighter, basically. The only thing I can really say about this is, "it's beer and you can drink it."

2 comments:

Dank brewer said...

This review surprised me. I thought it was very true to style. I thought I detected something astringent in the first sip...but after that it tasted like a fantastic Saison. I'm partial to this French Saison yeast that they used which is from Thiriez and very different then the Dupont strain. I would say it's tough to compare the two since they are such yeast driven beers, and the yeast are completely different. Maybe try it compared to a Thiriez Saison.

Too each there own I guess and more on the shelves for me!

Dank brewer said...

okay...after I posted that I decided i needed to try it again so I stopped by the liquor store on my way home from work. I guess I'm not a huge fan of this either. The only thing that I can figure out is that possibly they didn't ferment this yeast at high enough temperature to get the fruity esters out of it...and the hops they used just don't really work with how they fermented it.