Friday, August 19, 2011

Zywiec Porter


I recently added this one to the bottled list at the Nile. Looked at my published review on BA, and it seems I first took notes back in October, 2003, almost eight years ago. I seems like I liked it, and I still do, dang it. An overlooked gem from Poland, a Baltic Porter in the true tradition, at a massive 9.5% ABV.
----------------------------------------

Dark as possible, ith a huge head, rich, cocoa-hued and creamy.

Aroma: intense, amazing, dark, twisted, dripping with espresso tinges, thick and redolent with flavors of molasses, dark rum, and hints of anise. This declares itself immediately, and as a dedicated fan of Baltic porter, I'm ready for some fun, here! I had to sit with this smell some, and put off the tasting while I revelled in it!

Taste, deep, heavy, dark, but still creamy and fully palatable. Fierce flavor, rich and cavernous, with a long, lasting finish. A bit soft in places, but never does it falter. Alcohol is felt prdigiously, too, at hefty 9.1% (that's what the label of this one says), and is enjoyed! Dark and bitter, nearly motor-oily in viscosity, with lush malt, toasty, roasty, and ever-so-good.
On my first sampling, this automatically goes to the top, to the utmost peak of the Porter Hall of Fame.

This was not the first beer of my evening, but it was the last! I shuffled off to Slumberland, and left some beer in the glass. Next morning, that aroma was still there, and I couldn't bear to pour the remnants out, even felt tempted to toss it in my coffee!


No comments: