Sunday, August 28, 2011

Summit Extra Pale Ale


Speaking of pale ales, as we were, let's look at Summit EPA, the ale that started it all for them, 25 years ago. I only got around to trying it, say, 19 years ago. Don't think it made much of any impression in the suburbs by that time, and, I was anti-beer until I found the one I liked. That turned out to be British, so I had no idea there were any American, let alone Minnesota beers worth my drinking, until a new friend invited me to hang out at the C.C. Club with her and her friends, who all drank Summit EPA by the pitcher, back in '92. This had what attracted me to beer, after hating it for so long: hops. Bitterness. Flavor. Now, I had a new favorite beer and a new favorite brewery. For a time, anyway.

So, let's look back on what I wrote back in January, 2003, when I first wrote an ode, of sorts, to Summit Extra Pale Ale.
--------------------------------------------
A dark amber/ copper color, and thin , disappearing head.

Sharp, vibrant hops abound here...citrus fruits and more, grapefruit, apricot, cinnamon, sharp cheese?

Long, exciting finish, the hops mingle among the taste buds, the lips, and gums.
Great bitterness on top, medium body, warm and tingly.

Thoroughly satisfying, but not particularly remarkable.
A reliable tasty treat.
-----------------------------------------------
Hmmm, looking back, I'd chose different words today, but I agree with the tenor of the piece, for sure. I can still drink EPA, but it's never anything to get excited about.

No comments: