Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Porticus, Leipziger Doppel-Porter


Porticus, Leipziger Doppel-Porter, Bayrischer Bahnhof Leipzig, Germany, Special Edition of Historic Styles. 7% abv, 11.2 oz.

I know very little of this beer, and will now forget what I did know.

Dark brown color, cocoa-tinted head, nearly pink, actually, rocky and lacy. Starts huge, drifts down.

Aroma: sweet and sour, wild and funky. Some sherry, some cherry, a lambic-like kiss of raspberry. Interesting stuff, indeed. Getting very little from what I'd expect out of either a "doppel" or a "porter." But, I'll keep sniffing: Nope, not there, all but smothered by this fruity funkitude.

Taste: Damned interesting, once again. Bitter, dark malts, chocolate, espresso, dark fruit, anise, then the lambic-like funky fruit steps in, but without ever losing time with the dark malt flavors. This certainly tastes more Belgian than German, and I'd be utterly flummoxed if presented with it not knowing it's origin. Fullish body, longish finish, great complexity, lots to like.
Yum, I'm liking this more and more. Bitter and gritty, sweet malt, hops and …where does the sour come from? What is the yeast? Great questions...

No comments: