Sunday, February 5, 2012

Capital Manoomator Wild Rice Doppelbock

Here's a brand new one from Middleburg, Wisconin's Capital Brewery, a German lager centered concern that's keen on doppelbocks. The only other beer of theirs I've covered here was their Eisphyre. And here we have a wild rice doppelbock, bottle provided as a sample from my helpful and handy rep, Brandon. Notes, do your stuff!


Manoomator, Capital Square Series. "In Ojibwe, wild rice is known as Manoomin. In Bavaria, Doppelbock names end in -ator. Manoomator is a bilingualized term describing a Doppelbock with wild rice included in the grist. The result…" …whoa, nope, not this time. Later, maybe.

Clear and coppery-colored. No head at all. Despite that, bubble continue to rise to the surface. 

Rich, sweet, malty aromatics, with apparent alcohol notes. Grain/cereal notes, mineral. 

Taste: hits the mouth with richness and sweetness at the start, bold, flavorful, tasty. One problem I have is that while I like eating wild rice, I very rarely like drinking it.
In fact, I don't really think it helps a lot in the malt bill of a beer. Doesn't add any flavors that I can detect. 
Brisk carbonation blasts the palate. Bright. Full and fierce. Almost stinging. Body isn't as full and flush as I'd like, though. Maybe it's the rice not talking.

Calms down a bit after a while. But I'm not getting more flavor here. 
Wild rice doppelbock. Not a fan.

No comments: