Friday, February 24, 2012

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery Motoeka Double Lager


Town Hall … M.D.L. M-something …Double Lager, they call it. And that other thing, why do they call it that? It's certainly a word I've never heard, and can't for the life of me remember. Slight pause, while I search the intrawebs for some info. What's the story, morning glory? Got to be a meaning somewhere.  (Motoeka. All I know. And it's 8.5% ABV.)

I got this one to have something new to sip on during a day off, knowing full well that lagers aren't my thing, and doubling them doesn't help matters. In any case, we're drinking it. 

Clear, clean and golden, frothy white head starts out big, slips down assuredly, leaves a little lacing.

Aromatics: wide open and empty. Not much beyond a faint cereal sweetness. Malty, and…eh. Not much else. Little hops. 

Drinking it: A little heat up front, from the high alcohol, a bit of a burn, then it's all malt. Clean, and…not smooth, not with this much booze, but it is downable, consumable, for sure, if not for the premonition of a headache. I feel this is not too far away from a malt liquor. Very little actual flavor, beyond the small malt character, and the alcohol, which is becoming more and more prominent. 
Boom, boom, it's getting bigger, it's rounding out the brain cavity, searching for swinging room, and getting impatient. Boom, boom. Thud, thud. Pow. 
And while this banging happens around the brain cave, there's little extra pleasure to be had, unlike in a double pils, where you get some richer hop presence, no, this is strictly a lean, light lager, but high on the alcohol. (And I still don't know how high as I type this. Forgot to check. Or ask. They were busy, and I chose on a whim.)

It's getting a little sweeter in the malt flavor, and I'm trying to get down with that, use that as my pathway to pleasure. And ignore the pounding presence of the booze. 

No comments: