Sunday, February 26, 2012

Steel Toe Size 11 Double India Pale Ale


I no longer wear size 11 shoes, or even size 11 1/2. I moved up to size 12. Age 43, I am, and I'm still worried about shoe comfort. My life is a mess.
But you know what's not bad? When friends bring me beer. Steel Toe released this beer at the brewery on Friday, and I send word on facebook that I would like some. One friend responded, but another didn't even wait for my reply and showed up at the Nile with 2 bottles for me. I'll get those others later, and share with friends at some other occasion. The first bottle I consumed this afternoon, and here are the notes:


Steel Toe Brewing  Size 11 Double India Pale Ale, St. Louis Park, MN.

ABV 11 %, IBU 111, SRM 11, OG 1.094, F.G. 1.011…and a lot of other numbers, including several more 1's. Let's drink it.

Clear, crimson-coloring, small head, settles into a tight foam ring.

Nice hoppy buzz hits the nose first, accompanied by fruity esters, beautiful balance of bitter and sweet. Big time hoppitude. 

Let's drink it up, already. Mmmm. Massive bitter hop attack. Juicy malt backdrop. Bitter blast continues with each sip and swallow. Pricks the palate, prances, and plays upon the tastebuds. Boom, boom, boom, boom. Oh, yeah.


Pine meets citrus plus darker fruits, become deeper and more complex as the bottle drains. I'm thinking more of a barley-wine. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot dances in the forefront of my mind. All the biggest and best are queuing up, tl measure this one. Texture is getting richer, thicker, fuzzier, and everything is getting boozier. Hop flavor and character is all over the place. Unrelenting. Unabashed. Altogether excellent.

I'm getting that wonderful feeling, and I blame the 11%, as well as the fantastic flavor, and the unrepentant delivery of hops into this grateful realm of the senses. Love it, love it, love it. Magnificently put-together. And just down-right delightfully delicious. 

God damn, this is good. God damn, this is excellent.


This is only the second Steel Toe beer I've had in a full serving. First, a growler of Size 7. Now, a 750 ml bottle of Size 11. There are other Steel Toe beers out there I've got to go toe to toe with, and I'll just have to visit the brewery on my own at last, to get them. Stay tuned, kids. 

2 comments:

Professor Sudz said...

Everything they make is top-notch. We have another outstanding brewery cropping up in the Twin Cities, and I recommend you cruise through their entire line.

Jagerfoods said...

We made the tour a couple of weekends ago. They ran out of Dissent but we didn't leave empty handed.