Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rush River The Lost Arrow Porter

Every now and then, I try to play catch up and fill in some of the holes on this blog of beers I've reviewed, but haven't appeared here yet. Bought a Winter sample case from Rush River the other day, getting me 4 each of what were actually the first three offerings from this Wisconsin brewery. So, going way back in time again.
I first heard about them in the summer of 2004, when a big banner was outside the Bulldog on Lyndale, announcing this new brewery from Maiden Rock, WI. It was a different world then than it is now. We were desperate for anything new at all, eagerly awaited any new beer from Summit, and expected regular innovations from Town Hall, or Barley John's. A new brewery from Wisconsin? Available here? Better than what's happening in Minnesota!
It didn't take for me to find out who was distributing, and an uncommonly short while later, the brewers/owners paid me a visit. Not long after, the beers appeared on tap at the Blue Nile. Probably the porter first, because that's where my preference lies.

By the way, I asked why "the lost arrow", and the answer is, they like archery.

Anyway, here are my first notes, from July, 2004:

First pour from a freshly-tapped keg. 

Beautiful brown in color, murky, and with a bit of rolling, cascading action, though this is no nitr-tap. Head is a tight tan ring. 


Aroma is very nice, great gobs of cocoa filling the nose, just a dab of bittersweet espresso, warm and inviting. 


Aromatic experiences are revisited in the taste. Chocolate sensations flood the mouth, rich and well-rounded. Full-bodied,with a nice, softly lingering finish. No bitterness, although I like that in my porters sometimes, this is smoothness itself. 

Very easy-drinking and approachable, but not shy on taste, either. 

Good job, here, I think I'll be getting very well-acquainted with this one.

No comments: