Thursday, February 23, 2012

New Belgium Lips of Faith Biere De Mars


New Belgium Biere de Mar Ale Brewed with Spices, Lips of Faith series, …pretty sure I've had something of this name before, many years ago, in a bumpy 12 ounce bottle, without Lips of Faith anywhere on it. I am not looking at that old one, instead going for a fresh taste.

Hazy and orange, slim, lace-leaving head. Purty.

Aroma: spice aplenty. coriander, pepper, perhaps, …other than that, I'm not sure. Plus a side of citrus-y hops.

Taste: Smooth stuff, full of fruity/bready malt, spritzes of spice. Bright flashes of orange and lemon round the edges, with incessant barrages of spice and Belgian yeast. Yum. Ends easy, yet flavorful.

Lovely biere de mars, this. Did I need to wait a few weeks until it's really "mars" to truly appreciate it? It's tasty enough right now.

(Guess what? I did have it before, almost 9 years ago, and here are those notes from May 2003: Hazy, bright orange color, as in a ripe apricot. Head is initially thick, fluffy, pure white. Aroma is fresh and fruity, citrus large and in charge. Soon, a supreme hoppiness sets in and makes itself quite welcome in the nose and on the palate. 
Thrilling and tasty bitterness on the mouth, with a deliciously citric (orange, mostly) finish. Very yeasty, and quite well-balanced. Body is medium, hops are out front, but the brew is altoghether a rounded one. This is a very special ale, and when all the parts come together, I'm left wondering...am I drinking some kind of liquefied orange bread? 
Quite a nice accomplishment from a brewery of well-deserved fame. Both jeffboo and marc77 provided me with samples, and I thank them in stereo!)

No comments: