Sunday, February 26, 2012

Gouden Carolus Tripel

Something about me. I don't have a cellar, and I don't have a collection. Sometimes I find that I don't have on hand what I'd like to drink.  Usually, I only have on hand what I can afford, and don't go out, and spend too much money, generating a back log of beers I'll get to later. Nope, I drink what I have. My cellar, as it, or my collection,  is very, very small. Often, the missing slots in my drinkable selection is even an IPA, or a stout. Just a porter, or something. What, all I have to drink is Forgotten Flem, Brooklyn Monster, and several beers I need to write about? I  can't just drink 'em, I have to write about 'em.
So, this afternoon, I stopped at Harriet for some growlers of "drinkin' beers" (that would be West Side, not necessarily Divine Oculust, althought I'll be "drinkin'" that.), and then on my break, went up to the wonderland of Zipp's for the first time in more than a month, specifically for some Belgian ales, some for writin' about and some for drinkin'. I grabbed a Gouden Carolus Cuvee' van de Kaiser Rood, which I've never had, and that would qualify it as a writin' about beer. I also snagged a GC Tripel, from that excellent Het Anker Brewery, which I first wrote about in April of 2004. Want to know what I thought of it? Well, here it comes...


Holy Guacamole! This corked little devil came out with NO effort--BOOM! 
And now my trousers are wet... 

Muddy golden hue...vast mass of fluffy foam, white as snow sits on top and elegantly collapses, leaving gentle lace...Aroma: yeast, citric, but light, airy, a little honeyish...Taste: mmm, just right! 

Elaborate? I shall. A garden of fruit is here, apricots, peaches, oranges, banana, mix it with cream, soften it with sugar, throw some honey in it, whipped cream on top now, gently sprinkle with spices...tastiness abounds! Lightly, judiciously hopped, ample malt, incessant flavor. 
Body is about medium, finish is nigh-unto-eternal, light, sugary, and just about damned delicious, balance is near perfect too, nothing is overly forward, everything meets just-so, and it's drinkability gets a boost from that. 

My first try with this one, and now it's a new favorite, that I'll return to again and again...deeelicious!

No comments: