Friday, March 23, 2012

Sprecher Brewmaster's Premium Reserve Russian Imperial Stout

Perhaps at some point this beer was only called Sprecher Russian Imperial Stout, but that's what it's listed as on BeerAdvocate currently. Let's check the label on the keg I'm drinking it from....just says "Imperial Stout". I had an RIS from Sprecher on tap before, and it was the bourbon barrel-aged edition a year or two ago. Alas, that is not this. This one I'd actually had for the first time back in August, 2003, and here are those notes preserved for posterity:

Big, black color. Huge, towering, cocoa-hued head. 
Aroma: soft, but showing hints of coffee and chocolate, sweet and yummy. 
Lush mouthfeel, but short finish. Rather abrupt, actually. Body is not as full or as deep as I'd like in an imperial stout, but these words were captured during my notations on this botttle: "Warm, rich, chocolatey, toasty, bits of licorice...yum...suh-weet.." 
I love Imperial Stouts, and I liked this one, a fairly middle-of-the-road effort, not bad. 



I hold the same opinion today. Nothing wrong with it, except everything that should be a whole lot righter. 

No comments: