Thursday, March 8, 2012

N'Ice Chouffe

Brasserie d'Achouffe's seasonal strong dark ale. I call it a Belgian barleywine. I missed out on getting a keg of this year, but I grabbed a bottle and shared it with a friend last night. Unfortunately, I grabbed glasses so quickly, I forgot that I actually have a N'Ice Chouffe glass proper, and used a Houblon glass instead. I hope you will forgive me.

In any case, here are my original notes from December, 2003:

2003 Edition 
This is my first stab at his brew in quite some time. The last "dead soldier" I have is of the 1999 version, but probably purchased in 2001, and the differences are that that one called itself a barleywine on the label, and this one advertises itself as an "ale brewed with thyme and coriander peel." The descriptions on the back label are slightly different, but this new one calls itself a "winter warmer", not a barleywine. 
Deep, dark reddish brown color, with a prodigious, creamy tan head, fluffy, bilious. overwhelming. 
Aroma: airy, nutty, spicy, but sadly subdued, at least not providing what I was expecting, though I continued to enjoy it before taking a taste. 
Fruity, spicy, a wonderful marriage of flavors, richly malted, brilliantly hopped, full of dark fruit (grapes, cherries, plums), various spices, utterly tasty, happily helped by the orange in the mix. Very sublime, very subtle. Full-bodied, full-flavored, with spice and fruit awarding your good taste at every sip. Nice finish, nice texture...just beautiful... 
Highly recommended.

No comments: