Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Founders Imperial Stout

Another left-over from Imperial March, though I can't believe I haven't had this once in the past year and some months since I kicked this thing off. Mistakes have been made, I've finished beers without reviewing, or posting. Alas, life does go on. Having this on tap, and looking back on notes from my first bottle, back in May of 2005:

Terminal blackness describes the appearance, full-on ebony, covered by a toasted brown cap. 

Aroma is all things you want in an Imperial Stout, mollases, carob, anise, mostly chocolate, with undertones of coffee, rich, complex and deeply dark....a tickler for the nostrils, there's a fullness of flavor in the smell of this, that simply must be savored at length. I want to stave off the sipping, just to bask in this olfactory delight. 



On the lips and off the tongue, it's a thick, rich sensation...a fullness in the mouth, comes in grand force and takes over the cavernous reaches of the mouth...sits in command on the palate, as excess dark deliciousness drips over...a kingpin of the Imperial Stout variety, though certainly no Dark Lord...I don't taste any 12%, but it's making it's way assuredly onto my system, I can nice drinkability on it, too, despite the high octane booziness...it doesn't feel too bad on me, at least, not until I try to stand up...whoop=wha---whoa!! 

No comments: