Monday, September 17, 2012

Autumn Brew Review 2012!

Autumn Brew Review, September 15, 2012. One the banks of the Mississippi river, in the parking lot and surrounding grounds of the historic Grain Belt Brewery in North East Minneapolis.
The biggest yet, getting bigger all the time.  My eleventh in a row. I long ago vowed I'd never miss it, and I also vow to visit every brewery, not to miss the special releases, stop and talk to the new breweries, brewers, staff, etc. And each time that is harder and harder to do. But, I try. And I try, try, try, try, try....
One note: This year they returned to one session, instead of last year's two, but also it seemed shorter. This year it ended at 5, instead of 6, and I could swear it used to be 7pm. Really, 4 hours is not enough for a festival like this. We need another to review the autumn brews!

Award for most inauspicious and un-ostentacious booth display goes to Olvalde Farms, who apparently has a completely blank banner. (I kid.) Here's where I finally got to meet the very talented Joe Pond, brewer and owner, and got to tell him how much I admire his beers and brewery. And pester him a little about someday releasing kegs into the market, and to my bar in particular, of course. You can't tell from this pic, but he's wearing traditional German lederhosen. 
Local Odell representative Todd Ewing is all smiles. I skipped many national breweries, because they didn't always bring anything I've never had, but I surely hadn't had anything like Haven and Hale Peach Ale from Odell. Sweet, and tart, and yum.
Borealis Fermentary debuted at this ABR, with the same great wooden booth, with the stained glass logo that they had at All Pints North, as well as some new, excellent beers. I made sure to re-connect with brewer/owner Ken and talk about getting some kegs some day.
Deb has decided that hops belong not only in beer, but also in her hair.
Michael Agnew lets his hands do the talking on the subjects of IPA s inside the education tent. I wish I'd caught the other presentations, but it was too much to keep track of, and have to travel over the span of this huge event, to make it there on time. At right, a cask of Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat with vanilla beans and ..some kind of fruit...?? Help me remember, Rob Shellman!

Happy to talk about their beers are BJ and Kristen of Pour Decisions, of Roseville, MN, who at last are selling beer after a grand introduction last April 1. Last, as in 2011. Some of my friends will not stop talking/joking about the long slough to production after a grandiose and blustery beginning, even on that day. "Did you ever think they'd ever get off the ground?" Yes, of course I did. And this was also a popular spot for members of the home-brewing community to hang, for that's where the owners and brewers originate. Always good to see one of your own make it on the commercial level. I particularly liked Infidelity, a Burton Ale, Acerbity, a Berliner Weisse, and La Catin, a dark farmhouse ale. Loved that last one.
Joe Falkowski, who may be the Illustrated Man of Minnesota beer, gives the day his personal thumb up.
Here's Cinnamon catching up with Gera, both suffused in sunlight. this was a problem with taking pictures, outside was too bright, inside the tents was too dark.
At left, Bob DuVernois, of Excelsior Brewing, formerly of Great Waters, and other breweries, over the years. I believe I tried the Bitteschlappe Brown Ale, but did not keep track for certain, and in fact lost the program where I was trying to make those notes. For reference, I'm checking the program online as I write these captions. In the middle, a tuba! This was the first years did away with bands performing on stage, and instead had roving musicians, some German style, some New Orleans. I applauded this move, since watching bands isn't really the point of these events, and none of the groups seemed to draw the crowd they deserved.
At left, Bryan Hoffman gives an lesson on beer to some Fulton fans.
In front of the Boom Island booth, Deb chats with her former boss, Julianna, of Acadia Cafe, while husband (of J) Ted talks to owner/brewer Kevin Welch. I got a Hoodoo, but didn't tell him it was me who called him up a couple of months ago about the possibility of carrying his beers sometime. Oh, well, next time I'll speak up.
It was a bright, sunny mid-September Saturday, so naturally Margarita is carrying an umbrella to shade her hubby Nate.  What, is he a rajah or something?
Brian lifts a glass in cheers, happy as can be. After all, nutrients are right around his neck, and in his glass. I never did find where they sold those pretzel necklaces, but then I didn't make it over every inch of the place. That was damned near impossible. I didn't even go near probably half of the brewery booths. There were 108 breweries represented this year1 Amazing! This was my 11th, haven't missed one since 2001. I think there were 25 that year. And the local scene grows and grows...
Here's Todd Haug, pouring away at the Surly booth. They've outgrown the whiteboard or the chalkboard, and have some fancy signage advertising the special releases. Note the sign over a departed beer, marking that it is: "Gone! Just like your favorite childhood pet!" Another read: "Gone! Go ahead with your diminished life." Surly being surly. Note that the 3rd Anniversary beer, 3, has a graphic for the first time in it's life, provided by artist Michael Berglund, the artist-in-residence for the past year, designer of the syx label, Darkness 2011, and Pentagram. His tenure has come to a close, but we talked about his efforts to continue to archive and promote the art of Surly, a subject near and dear to me. I still remind people that my design for Surly Two remains their only painted label art.
This is as close as I could get to Omar Ansari, who was way too busy running this thing to spare a moment for the likes of me.
See the guy in blue, at right? Deb commented on his headwear, wondering why you would wear that silly thing made of non-craft beer cans to a craft beer festival. Same goes for guys who go in PBR t-shirts. Really, come on. There are enough craft beer cans where you can make the same thing with those. And surely, some friends of mine were wearing Surly Furious hats in that style, made by one of their wives. 
Farmer Dave, pouring away the BrewFarm brews. Regular readers already know of my admiration for his brewing skill, imagination, and damned delicious beers. He brought 8 beers, though I can't remember them all, but won't forget the divine beauty of SOB OMG! I've already been a fan of that one, and called it my favorite of the day, to all who would hear my voice. 
Lanny Hoff, of Artisanal Imports, and Heather Christian, of Hohenteins, Inc., insisted that I snap the two of them together, as they took a break inside the Dave's BrewFarm booth. This was Farmer Dave's first time back at the ABR in several years, and his was a welcome presence.
My companion for this ABR was my friend Deb, looking lovely while holding a Brett Bandwagon,  a new twist on the IPA Surly makes for the Twins Target Field. How about Barnyard Bandwagon? One of the best beers of the day. We're hanging out in from of the row of foot trucks and vendors, which was the usual assortment from years gone by, Stanley's, Ngon's, Pizza Luce (our choice), Chef Shack (I eat from them every Wednesday at Harriet), Barrio, Foxy Falafel, and A Cupcake Social. Yes, a cupcake food truck at a beer festival. But, they had White Russian and Stout flavors, so it all made sense.
The time when I remembered to start taking photos coincided with a visit to Chisago Lakes Alley. That's what I called the string of tents all occupied by the products of one particular distributor. There was J.J. Taylor Alley, Hohensteins Alley, etcetera, although it seemed that MN Craft Brewers Guild Members were all together, no matter who their distributor. Here, my friend Jeff Halvorson volunteers for Chisago, pouring Jolly Pumpkin beers, and answering the question for the 500th time, no, it's not a pumpkin ale, no, it's not a pumpkin ale, it's a sour Belgian-style ale, do you like sour beers?....

No comments: