Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ommegang Abbey Ale

Here we are, almost two years into the re-start of this blog as a platform for my beer reviews and I still find some of my favorites haven't found their way on here yet. Can it be so long since I've had an Ommegang Abbey? Shocked I am, about as shocked as I am when I realize that this is the first time I've tapped this one, which has been a favorite since I first tried, probably 13, or 14 years ago. Maybe more? (This is the 15th Anniversary of the brewery.) I've been drinking their beers since I've been aware of their existence, and I've been selling this by the bottle at the Blue Nile for as long as I've been able (though, for reasons I have yet to understand, it isn't a swift seller).  A major reason I've been slow to tap Ommegang Abbey is that until recently it has only been available in 1/2 barrel kegs, and it would be very boring and tedious to describe the situation that makes that a problem, so just imagine the thought turning over and over in my mind, through the years: "One day, one day I will get a keg, just not now...the time's not right..."

So, of course I've reviewed it, naturally.  I logged onto BeerAdvocate.com to find my old review, and discovered that when the reviews for Cave-Aged Ommegang were merged with the regular issue the powers that be kept those notes, and deleted the original. I looked on ratebeer.com, and there it was, from April, 2004, my notes on a bottle of what was at the time my favorite American version of my favorite style, the Belgian abbey dubbel. Notes, do your stuff:

If anyone stuck a shiv to my ribs and make me squeal out my one and only favorite beer, I'd yelp the name "Ommegang!" (Actually, it would probably sound more like "Ommegod, this guy's killing me, somebody HELP!", but that's getting off track..) Why? 1. It demonstates best my personal belief that the best beer in the world is coming out of American craftbrewers, and the greatest brewing nation, for that reason, is the good ol' U.S.A. If you have a friend who is an import beer snob, loves Belgians, but gives micros the air, let them try this blindfolded and watch 'em eat crow! 2. It tastes so good!

Color is dark amber to a rich, rustic brown. Hue of the head leans toward a dark orange, and is mighty and boisterous--I can hear it across the room! {Note: this is from when I emulated the great beer writer Fred Eckhart and attempted to listen to the beer, as well as see, smell and taste. I don't do that much anymore, but, hey, you give it a try!}

Aroma makes itself known from far off, too. It's utterly luxurious: toffee, chocolate, plums, grapes, dark fruit, leather, tobacco, flowers, sugar and spice and everything nice! A thick, musky, full aroma.

On the lips and over the tongue, it's smooth, mellow, and extremely flavorful. Warming, deliciously hopped, tingly and enticing. Goes down so nice, and makes you feel good all the way. Everything I ask for in beer, and more!


---------------

Just for fun, here are the notes from Cave-Aged Ommegang Abbey, which I received in a trade with an East Coast Beer Advocate member, from June, 2003:


I'm a great big fan of Ommegang, and now I have the Cave-Aged at hand ready for inspection..

.Appearance: same dark, muddy, burgundy brown, more reddish in direct light, and with a small, dunnish head.

Aroma: a touch more mellow than the fresher version, (which I've just consumed, by the way, for the purposes of this study, of course!) but a magnificent melange, even if it does need time to unfold. Rich, dark, fruity flavors present themselves, raisins, plum, fig, grapes, spices, chocolate. It's a deep, dank morass of fruity goodness. And now to taste...

Mouthfeel is unwordly...thick doesn't start to describe it! This beer takes over the mouth, the tongue, the apex of all senses is overcome. It commands, and must be paid tribute to! ...I'm still reeeling! I initiate another sip with trepidation...am I ready? Yes, I am...Hops are a large, fruity charge,then malt takes over, occupies, dominates, fully engorges everything in ways only pleasant! Again, I must pause, reflect, wait...now, to sip anew...thick, lush, full,...an intoxicatingly flavorful sensation! I'm in too much pleasure, to be sure! I've got 1/2 the bottle to go? Wished I'd saved it for another, more communal, convivial occasion, to make more people happy. Maybe some other time, if it's possible?

It's an incredible mix of all things dark and beery and fruity and alcoholy and...really, my question is thuswise: if I gave regular Ommegang 5 stars, can I give this one 6?

No? Why not? Oh, it's amazing! Not merely the strength and potency gives it it's formidable quality, but the everflowing flavor! Ranks among the finest brews ever brewed, alongside every trappists monk's secret concoction. Hail to thee, Ommegang!
Once again, you knocked my every sock off.

(So much thanks to purplehops for the opportunity to drink this ambrosia!)
The Cave did it's work well. This is one kick@$! beer!

No comments: