Saturday, September 8, 2012

Indeed Midnight Ryder Black Ale


Midnight Ryder American Black Ale, Indeed Brewing Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Avid readers of this blog will know that I've had an on-and-off, back and forth, love-it/hate-it relationship with this new-ish style of ale that I am only comfortably calling Black Ale. It seems that Indeed agrees. And here we have a unique occurrence, where a new brewery rolls out a flagship brew of this style (along with their American Pale Ale) as one of their introductory beers. Does this mean the style is here to stay? Will this prove successful enough that it sticks? How now, black ale? Indeed, indeed.

Enough of my jibber jabber, though, how is it?

Solid black appearance, under a lush and lovely cocoa/tan head, leaving lace. Looking good.

Aroma: Chocolate and coffee enter first, then swiftly surrounded by grassy hops, but it's a fine blend, and none sticks out over the other (which is the error in many entries in this field, I think.) Malty, nutty, slightly sweet, with citrus fruit and pine rounding it out. A masterful tango of competing flavor notes.

Taste: More of that in the mouth, a big blast of malt at the top, with hops creeping up from below, with neither side in charge, a happy cohabitation. Tasty stuff, the bitter hops keep giving flavor, and the malt holds firm, releasing it's own deliciousness.
I just keep liking this the more I drink it. In this Black Ale, the promise of the style feels fulfilled. I don't miss the heavier malt profile of a porter or stout, and the higher hopping doesn't clash with the darker flavors, as in the versions I've given the down thumb to.

To reiterate: Tasty stuff. I like it. Rewarding, satisfying, and one to return to again and again, with many pleasures to return on each new trip. I'll be doing this one again and again.

No comments: