Saturday, September 15, 2012

Corsendonk Abbey Pale Ale (Tripel)

Here's a great, classic Belgian beer that doesn't get the respect it deserves. Called alternately "Monk's Pale Ale" or "Abbey Pale Ale", it's really right in line with the Tripel style. And it's a very friendly, affable, approachable, even loveable example. It's not hot, sexy, or exciting, but it's wonderful in it's own way. I remember the last time I had it on tap, several years ago, and a beer geek friend came to visit, saw it was Corsendonk, and asked "Is it the ...you know what, I told that story in the entry for the Christmas Ale, go back and read it there. Now, I'm embarrassed and feel foolish. Well, no better cure than more of this delicious Belgian ale, nice and warming at 7.5%. And I'll share with you notes from a bottle, way back when, as I drink a glass from the tap in a cool Corsendonk glass. Here you go, notes from May, 2005, of Corsendonk Agnus, aka Abbey Pale Ale, aka Monk's Pale Ale, aka Tripel. Seek it out, drink it, enjoy it, share it, give it the respect it deserves.


-------------------------

And, away we go, the trap is off, the corkscrew in...POP!, and there she goes...misty straw appearance, delicate, snowy white pillow of foam, leaves lovely lacing...leads the eye to urge on the appetite...

Nose: gorgeous, an ethereal whiff of citrus, spice, and fairy dust, or something.

Peaches and pears, ginger and cardamom, coriander and orange rind.. Beautiful.
taste: a great spritz on the palate at first, a blast of lemon peel, yeast, and gritty spices all over the tongue...a sour, citric bite dominates the start, then it slides off and relents to easier pleasures.

This would act as an excellent aperitif, as I'm finding my tongue yearning for certain foods...too bad it's 4:45 am...I'll make a note to match with fine dining in the future, though.

Medium bodied, with a light, dry, certainly citric finish.

Zesty, if I had to keep it to one word.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a unopened corked 3 qt bottle that ive had at least 14 years.but it taste real good lmao\

Al McCarty said...

Why didn't you invite me over to share it with me?